"I know my rights, I watch People's Court." - ALF

I've been spending the majority of my nights falling to sleep watching ALF. The show has a sort of simplicity that you don't see in TV anymore. It also has a genuine humor to it that leaves racism, sexual innuendos and politics by the way side. If you're not familiar with the show at all, it's about an alien that crash landed on earth and is being protected by a family until he can be rescued. I watched the show for this long to only notice now, that ALF is Jesus. Not literally, but metaphorically.

Show after show, the family does everything in their power, to keep ALF hidden from the outside world. I do that more than I care to admit. All too often I find myself rushing Jesus into the kitchen or closet when people come over. After I know he's out of sight, I quickly turn around with a expression that says everything is OK. ALF was rushed into the kitchen every time someone came over and then the Tanners would smile and greet the company like the normal family they should be. What are we so afraid of? Hurting someones feelings? Being rejected perhaps? Maybe it's as simple as being afraid of confrontation and not knowing how to bring it up. I don't know about you, but I know I wasn't put on this earth to make sure Jesus is comfortable in front of the TV and has plenty to eat. I was made to be a servant for Christ, for others .

So, Should we be a smiling face to show all is well, normal and hope no one asks any tough questions like the Tanners do? Or should we open the doors and let in who chooses to venture our way? We need to stop hiding Jesus from the world, like he is some alien that no one will understand. Everyday we have the choice to step out in faith and let Gods light be shown or hide it behind the nearest door. We have to be less afraid of what we think people will think and start acting on what we believe. There is a lot to get from Jesus for ourselves, but what of Jesus do we give to others.


These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati